Friday, January 21, 2005

The Wall of...Everything




I never before really noticed how much jelly fish look like galaxies. It's probably because I'd not managed to download this picture from the last time I hit the aquarium until tonight. The whole incredibly dark room and brightly light jellies and the odd angle and fun with refraction don't hurt my case at all, I'm sure.

But really, who's to say that jelly fish aren't really galaxies in and of themselves? They consist of relatively small bits seperated by vast expanses of nothingness. The small bits themselves are composed of even smaller bits...how do we know that on one of those mesons or quarks or whatever the name of a really tiny bit of a bit of a jelly fish is called, how do we know that there doesn't live in a vast sea on that bit of jelly a creature that the inabitants call a jelly fish?

How do we know that that jelly fish isn't also itself a huge (small?) galaxy traveling through a sea (universe?) in a tiny (huge?) aquarium? But then we would have to consider the possibility that we're really only little bits of a jelly ourselves.

I, however, am not feeling that flexible today and will continue to persist in my belief that I'm really just a piece of a rock. Or at least living inside a cave.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home