Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Like the Sound of Rain Rolling Down a Hot Tin Roof

I was so excited, we were going to see a movie. We didn't go see movies very often. Once or twice a year if we were lucky; dad always complained that they were much too expensive, so we generally ended up waiting until they were shown on TV. If we remembered for that long that we wanted to see the movie anyway.

But that night, we went to the movies. I was expecting a wonderful evening, I was expecting a treat. I even got my choice of foods from the concession stand, I got a box of jawbreakers. The little ones that didn't actuall break your jaw when you gave in to the sugary goodness and actually bit. But of course with such a wonderful time expected, something had to go wrong. Otherwise it would make a boring story, right. `We went to the movies. It was everything I hoped it would be. The end'.

Yes, I hoped for a wonderful evening, but instead it ended up being a traumatic experience. It wasn't due to the blood and gore, I didn't have nightmares about monsters for the next decade. Not due to the movie anyway.

I don't even remember what movie was playing. All I remember is that halfway through the movie, I was out of jawbreakers.

Everyone else in the theater knew too.

If I had gummy bears or a candy bar, or if we hadn't gone to a theater that had the wonderful sloping floor, I may have not been able to eat the rest of my candy. But the sound of several dozen jawbreakers rolling to the front row wouldn't have been so distracting either.

I doubt I'd remember the movie at all then, though. It can't have been that interesting a movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home