Thursday, August 12, 2004

In a League All His Own

It had been a while since last I went bowling. So I fully expected the gutter balls in all of my practice rounds. I was rather surprised at the pin that did fall. I'm still not sure, though, if it was from laughter or pity. Either way, one pin from the several rounds was better than I expected.

So once the game began, I certainly didn't expect to follow up that gutter ball by picking up nine pins. Round one, score of nine. Wow, I manage to impress myself sometimes.

I continued to be impressed the next set, when I got a spare. I hadn't had a spare in /years/! (Ok, I hadn't /bowled/ in years, but that's no excuse, is it?) So after heaving the ball down the lane four times, I had a score of nine. But the second round hadn't been scored yet, so I was doing well!

The surprises just continued, increasingly shockingly as I followed the spare with another spare or two, and a strike and a spare and knocked down all ten pins time after time. I think there must have been a gerbil running around inside that bowling ball. Otherwise there's no way it could've avoided the gutter that well.

So I refuse to believe that I bowled the 170 myself. And the gerbil grew tired as the night wore on, for all three of the later games resulted in lower scores. With my last one (before I decided I couldn't stand going any lower) ended up at an 80. Less than half of my first game of the night.

And the gerbil bowling the game for me explains another thing. We had to give our names, had to be entered into the computer so it could keep track of our score. But my name appeared nowhere on the board, so I had to bowl under the one unclaimed name. That bowling ball was apparently the home of a gerbil named "Josh".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home