Wednesday, July 28, 2004

...They Also Are the Fruit of Doom!

Beans, beans the magical fruit...

I never really understood that quote. How can beans be a magical fruit? Even assuming that they can be magical, which I find rather unlikely. Even given that possibility, though, they're beans, they're not fruit! So even if they were magical, they'd be magical legumes, not magical fruit. But yet, people still keep saying otherwise.

I admit, though, that "Beans, beans the magical legume, the more you eat the more you consume" doesn't really have the same feel. First graders everywhere wouldn't run around shouting that one. Most of them probably wouldn't even understand it, which is why I'd probably run around shouting it if I were in the first grade again. It's too bad I didn't think of it when I had the chance, somehow I don't think it would go over all that well at work.

So I guess I'll just have to learn to accept beans as a magical fruit. Or cease working with grade-schoolers. Or both, but I'd prefer neither, and of the two I guess I'll have to accept the beans being a fruit.

But not just any fruit, I suppose. They're a /magical/ fruit. And I guess that anything that's magical can have fun properties that it wouldn't normally have. Flying carpets, talking dogs, love potions, they're magical and they're not what you would start out assuming. So if they're magical, the beans could be a fruit. They'd just /also/ have to be a legume, otherwise they're not beans at all.

Beans, beans, the magical legume...

2 Comments:

Blogger Queenie said...

My Aunt used to sing that song and fart.
She also could burp the whole alphabet.
There is some real talent in my family.

Q

2:54 PM  
Blogger Silik said...

Heh. Most families have at least one person with talent. Until that person gets disowned, anyway.

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home