Sunday, August 22, 2004

A Pathetic People

There I was, minding my own business, actually working on my thesis again. Yeah, it's still yet to be done, and I figured that while waiting for them to do maintenance on my car was as good a time as any, and better than some, to be working on it. So I'd brought my notebook, some papers, and a pen. Nothing else, if I had a book or cards or even a rock to wind a string around I was sure I'd get distracted. So there I was, minding my own business, ignoring the Olympics that were playing on TV, as I feel someone hovering on the other side of the waiting area.

"Do you sell new cars here, or just used?"

There were three other people waiting, and there I was, shorts, t-shirt, working on my thesis, hidden as far as I could be in the waiting area. But, of course, when I looked up, she was asking me. I was tempted to answer "no" and go back to work. I might have told her to ask someone else, I didn't know. But I'd just been working on my thesis, and I'm oft slow in switching gears.

So I just kinda' stared with this dazed look in my eyes.

I apparently have a good blank stare. It didn't take her long to realize that I had no clue what she was talking about, that I couldn't even manage to switch my brain over from abstract mathematical concepts to the thought of selling cars. Nor would I really want to do so, even if my brain told me that, hey, it's capable of making the change today. So I looked up, I stared. And she realized her mistake. A mistake that I still am trying to figure out.

If /I/ am an official-looking-type-person-thing, I really fear for the state of the world. If I /were/ an official-type-person-thing-guy, I'd even more fear, though, as the world would quickly decline into a spiral of apathy and nothing would ever be done. I'd still be waiting for them to fix my car.

If I'd've ever managed to buy a car in the first place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home