Sunday, August 15, 2004

Mocha Dreams

I haven't spent much time in a coffee shop before. It's something that I should do more often, but there are so many things that I should do more often, and so little time to do them in. Well, ok, really it's more that it takes so much effort to get around to doing them, but I can pretend the former excuse, at least.

But I did go to a coffee shop, and sat around all afternoon talking and playing cards. It was a good time had by all. A good time had by both, anyway. But that just doesn't sound as impressive. Or at least I think it was a good time had by both, but at least I had a good time, so I suppose that's good enough for me.

We got in to the coffee shop "right before the storm". The person working seemed glad that we managed to beat the rain. Not that it managed to actually start raining, and there was just some thunder and lightning before we got to the shop. Maybe some after too, but no rain. I think she was really just glad that we showed up at all. There wasn't another person in the store, so we had the place to ourselves.

We got our drinks (she, this sweet coffee; me, iced tea), we started playing cards, we had a good time. Or at least I did, but I think I covered that.

After a few short games, sadly we were no longer the only people in the store. Another guy came in, ordered a drink, and claimed the cushy seat in the corner. We would have claimed those seats ourselves, but they weren't very conducive to our game of cards, so we didn't really mind that he took it himself. He apparently shouldn't have though.

The lady working the store, shortly after this guy came in, left in a hurry. She dragged back someone from next door, for she was afraid. For this guy was no longer responding. Poked at, prodded, name called, I'm not sure what all she tried to do to get his attention. Although it couldn't have been much. For the newcomer just had to call his name and he startled awake, shocked and sorry that he had fallen asleep, that he had wasted her time, that he had frightened her.

If he had previous experience frightening store owners in the area, I don't know. But I do know that he's taught me one thing--if I'm exhausted and go grab a drink at a coffee shop, it's fairly important to avoid the cushy chairs. I don't know anyone next door that's willing to come by and wake me up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home