Monday, August 23, 2004

Ow, My Brain's Full!

I remember the first day of school. Ok, I don't really remember my very first-ever day of school, but I do remember the first day of school for many years after pre-school. I may even remember the first day of kindergarten, although that's kinda' fuzzy and may actually be from a movie I saw once. I suppose I could check, but I think they've probably suppressed the UFO stories, so not finding any evidence doesn't really tell me anything.

But I remember the first day of school. My mother dropping me off, me not wanting to be there. I think that home was a better option, although I also remember being really excited before-hand about being old enough to finally be able to go to school. I was getting ancient! But, no, one foot in the school, and I was already to be home.

School didn't really end up being too much work, it didn't end up being frightening or scary, it ended up being halfway decent. More than that sometimes. Less others, of course. But overall, it wasn't bad.

But not being bad certainly doesn't mean that it was /great/. It meant that I could no longer spend all day doing whatever I wanted. It meant I couldn't just take a nap whenever I felt like it. It meant I had to actually /talk/ to people, I had to sit still and pretend to be listening, it meant I had to act like I was thinking and seem to be putting forth some form of effort. Not that I /actually/ put forth effort, if I had school would likely have been near-unbearable. Work, ugh!

But, no, I had to at least pretend otherwise.

I remember the first day of school. I remember that I grew up really, really quickly. One day, I was excited to be going and doing some /real/ /work/! And then the next, my foot was in that door, and I realized I didn't want to be there. Smartest thought I ever had.

But, alas, it was too late. My trek down that long, murky path called "edjumicashun" had begun, and it stretched for miles and miles and miles.

And now, I long for my days of edjumicashun. I long for the days where I could just sit around and pretend to be working. I long for the days of being done by 3, of having the entire world ahead of me. But I no longer see how I could spend that much free time, and so I spend many hours a day, working.

I was smart once. But I got over it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home