Sunday, July 04, 2004

A Sixty-to-One Ratio

Being the 4th of July, there were a great number of pyrotechnic displays this evening. I even managed to go see one myself, for the first time in quite a while. I could probably have paid to actually go to the amphitheater and heard the music that the display was set to, but being across the street, behind the hill was good enough for me.

I'm used to much less..impressive displays. A firework, a pause, a firework, a pause, rinse, repeat. For a while that'd continue on until it got late enough that they'd light anything they had left over. But not tonight, no. It was set to /music/. So three times, once for each verse I suppose, it started out with a couple fireworks, and then a few more, and then more than that, until three times we reached the climactic large number of fireworks in the air. Best of all, though, were the smoke clouds that remained after these fireworks. Well, after the one right before the climactic huge number, anyway, the clouds where you could see where each part of the firework flew through the air to its eventual decay and demise.

It was wonderful. It was loud. It lasted about three minutes.

But, hey, I brought a book. So I read a few really good short stories while I waited. Until they turned out the street light, and then I had to wait for half an hour before the fireworks began.

Of course now I'm glad that the fireworks were so close to work, for I'll apparently have to wait another half of an hour before the roads are in a decent shape to drive on. Traffic's horrible, but at least I've got a computer to use at work.

But for the three hours of waiting, it was a good three minutes spent.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home