Wednesday, May 19, 2004

More Than Just Rest

For eight summers, I spent a few weeks each year working as a camp counselor. Of course, when I started, I so didn't expect it.

To graduate high school, I was required to do some number of community-service hours. I worked at the library for a while and helped out at church, but still had way too many hours left to do, when working at camp was suggested. I figured, not really my cup of tea, but getting my hours taken care of while sleeping seems like a really good idea. So I agreed, packed my bags, and off to camp I went.

And I was right. It wasn't my cup of tea..for the first week or so. But I started to enjoy it. Playing with the kids, having minimal responsibilities, actually *gasp* getting sunshine, they were nice, and I had fun. Didn't really mind leaving, but was glad I'd come. Of course, the next year rolled around, and given a choice between staying home all summer or going back to camp for a few weeks, back to camp I went.

Several years I returned, each year me thinking it's my last, just to manage to make time to return the year after. Once the kids started expecting me to be there, though, I knew I found something I truly enjoyed. Even if they did call me the Door Nazi and half of them did whatever they could to try to annoy me, I was so much meaner to them than the other way around.

Leading to working at CTY's summer program and being a member of the Physics Van, a variety of experiences have all sprung from the one "I may as well get my hours done by sleeping" thought. So now I know, sleep gives you much more than just rest... Sleep gives you a new way of life!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home