Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Blame it on the Tuna

As I ponder what to initiate my blog with, I realize there's only one obvious topic. War, famine, computers, the sky, cute little bunnies, none of them are as important as the tuna. One of my favorite words (somewhere after queue, but before cat), it also makes a rather tasty sandwich. Often when asked a question, my answer will be "tuna," if only to confuse the person I'm talking to. Many things have been blamed on the tuna in my time and conversations. Of course, I do enjoy confusing people, and could use a myriad of other words to accomplish the same task. I'll stick with tuna.

But for most of my life, I didn't really realize just how impressive tuna could be.

After moving out to California, one of the first things I did was go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. (Ok, so I went to go to the aquarium, but my sister decided the line was too long, so we didn't actually go in--didn't manage to actually make it /into/ the aquarium until a few months later.) And among all the amazing exhibits they've got there, they have a fish tank that has some tuna. Now, I always thought that tuna were a small fish like sardines and such, and maybe some varities are, but not these.. these tuna were huge. Not as colorful as tropical fish, but a single tuna's as large as or larger than a tropical fish tank, so it'd be a bit hard to keep as a pet anyway.

Ok, so the tuna really isn't my favorite fish, there're these little fish that dig homes for themselves by picking up rocks with their mouths to move them out of their way, and then spit them out. While also not as colorful as many other fish, the industry those fish exhibit is more fun to watch than ants. When's the last time you ever saw an /ant/ spit things at you? But even though the tuna isn't my favorite, they now, in addition to their previous properties, remind me that the world is a vast confusing place, and I don't know anywhere near everything.

Of course, I'll still continue to blame it on the tuna.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No way is your tuna entry more interesting than mine! I provide valuable advice!
www.livejournal.com/users/letseat

3:57 PM  
Blogger Silik said...

Mine is too better, as you obviously took /my/ advice. You blamed it on the tuna!

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home