Thursday, October 12, 2006

A Changed Leaf

I find the most interesting things walking to work. Today I discovered that the radiation output by my monitor is worse than I thought. It doesn't just affect the plant sitting next to it, it apparently affects things much, much further away.

Walking down the sidewalk, I take the back way so there aren't many other people around. So there I was, minding my own business, when it fell out of the sky. Not a squirrel this time, thankfully; that was pretty surprizing and must have been painful for a squirrel. This time, though, it was just a leaf.

Fell straight down from the sky, I noticed how colorfully drifting it was. It reminded me of the change in season, in my desire to head back to Yosemite again before it starts to snow. It reminded me how much I enjoy this weather; I may not enjoy it for a full year, but for a fall-lengthed amount of time, it makes me really happy. Which is somewhat odd, given how depressing autumn can be if you think about it too much in certain ways. Still, the smell of the crisp autumn air in the morning is wonderful and certainly worth waking up for.

It is a lovely, colorful time of the year. The leaves changing colors, the sky still frequently a deep blue. The rains are beginning, so the grass again begins to turn green. And you know that just around the corner (in other parts of the world at least), that first snow won't be too far behind.

Yes, as the leaf drifted to the ground, I realized just how much I love this time of year. And as I passed it, I wondered what kind of freak genetic mutation would cause trees to start sprouting Taco Bell wrappers. Or cause trees to actually enjoy eating there.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The radiation from your monitor is affecting trees in Illinois too.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Silik said...

It's turning into an army of trees! Close all Taco Bells around the world so they have nowhere to eat!

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home