Monday, May 31, 2004

Upside Down, Inside Out, Turned Around, and Backwards

Years ago, my grandfather found a recipe that he used for all special occasions since. Christmas, Thanksgiving, birthdays, whatever, the couple of times he didn't make it, we were fairly and noticeably upset. So I was rather surprised when I asked my aunt, "Do you want a piece of Upside-down Banana Split Cake?"

"What's that?"

Now, he'd been making this cake for years, my cousins, siblings, distant relatives, random friends, anyone that had been by and had a piece loved it. I knew she'd eaten some and enjoyed it. Just a couple of months prior, even.

And then, I remember.

We hadn't always called it Upside-down Banana Split Cake. It started out as just regular, plain ol' Banana Split Cake. But then, one such occasion, the cooler managed to tip over. The cake didn't land on the floor, but it was a huge mess of cake. Still tasted yummy, though. And, most importantly, my aunt /wasn't/ /there/. So I realize, she's apparently never heard us call it that since.

Which I found impressive--it had to have been a good half-dozen years. Plenty of time that I didn't really remember why it was Upside-down and not just plain Banana Split Cake. Long enough that once I did remember, I just remember why, and don't even remember the event itself. And long enough that its name had gained the Upside-down part, not out of laughing at my grandpa anymore, but rather out of habit.

So apparently my aunt just needs to eat more cake. Preferably with us, so she knows what it's called.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home