Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Buddy, Got a Light?

They tell me that light is made up of little particles, too tiny to see. Which is rather silly, I say, for if I can't see them, how do I see anything at all? They tell me that light is made up of waves, but to that I hold the same argument.. waves of what? Particles too tiny to see?

No, I say they're wrong. Light isn't either of these things. This I know well, for I spent way too much time making light..or at least pretending to. The pictures at least looked fairly neat.

Light can be slowed down, yet its speed is a constant. But how can that be? Light ends up as one of the more confusing subjects I know.

I've spent hours contemplating it, trying to understand it. I've wondered what would be like if gravity had a larger effect on light, pulling it to the floor as soon as it left the flashlight. Not that we'd really have much use for flashlights in that case, so the probably would never have been invented, but I'm just saying. And then I thought it'd be pretty funny to see something like that, until I realized I was being dumb and wouldn't be able to see such a thing, except mayhaps from below. You couldn't look at things anywhere but nearby and above, unless light bounced still. Then you'd get a jumble of images if you lay on the ground and just look.

No, light's best as it is now. But now I've got to wonder the same about sound.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home