Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Golden Potato

Yes, I do have more than one superpower. No, it shouldn't be allowed. Yes, I do want to get rid of them, as I've yet to figure out how to use them for good.

Besides, I don't like having great responsibility.

But this superpower brings endless amusement to people I know. And I've grown used to it, I've accustomed my scheduling to it, to the point that I forget I have this power. Until someone decides to point it out again, until it once again becomes blazingly obvious and I can't ignore it. Until I have plans in ten minutes, and I really need to get a 2-liter to bring along, but the person in front of me has to pay in pennies.

For my superpower, or this superpower anyway, is the ability to cause my line in any supermarket to be the slowest. Generally it means that the person in front of me will have to check each item to make sure they got their sale price, or will pay in change, or will need a pack of cigarettes but the cashier can't actually get them herself so has to get her manager to open the cabinet. Things that happen normally to everyone, but which appear to happen with greater regularity due to my superpower.

Not that they happen all the time, mind you. Occasionally I manage to find a line that has no one waiting yet. Occasionally I find a line where the cashier is just waiting for a customer, ready to help...

...forgetting that the printer just ran out of paper. Or deciding as I get there that it's time to go on break. Or to change shifts. Or that it's their first day and they have to double- and triple-check each item they scan. Or half of my items won't scan properly and they have to try entering their numbers and calling to the back of the store to get the actual price because $150 can't be right for a potato[e].

Yes, I did almost get charged $150 for a potato. And it tacked another five minutes onto the time spent in line. And it would have been longer, but I didn't really want to ponder what was in the potato.

1 Comments:

Blogger Queenie said...

Worms.

Q

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home