Friday, May 12, 2006

Random Detour

One summer vacation with my grandfather, he decided it was time for us to go to Yellowstone, see Old Faithful and all that. Random stops on the way, and a fun time feeding the deer, it was a great trip overall. But it also was one of the ultimates in spontenaity; I've realized that I can never match up to my grandfather.

As we left Yellowstone, my grandpa decided that Mt. Rushmore really wasn't that far out of the way, so we might as well stop on by on our way back home. Ok, fine, it's not really that much out of the way; it's not really exactly on the optimal path, but an extra hour or three isn't nothing. Of course, none of us were really interested in going, as it's not really something you need to see that many times more than once. But grandpa wanted to go, and off we went.

So after driving for a full day, we managed to get to Mt. Rushmore, saw the mountainside from the parking lot, ran into the gift shop for some ice cream, and left. An hour or three for a spontaneous ice cream cone is a little bit on the silly side. I'm sure we passed at least /one/ ice cream place on the way.

But I can never match up to my grandfather. I'm trying to learn, though. I think the best I've managed so far is to decide to go to the beach at random on a Sunday afternoon. Which might have been impressive in the past, but isn't so much anymore. Still, it could be worse.. I could be living in a house with an ocean view.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home