Wednesday, May 10, 2006

We Come In Peace




Shadows. Such very frightening things. Sure, it's pretty obvious what they are much of the time...or at least so you hope to believe. That's not really a person hiding behind your door, not really a snake sitting there on the sidewalk. And this isn't really an alien hand, open and out in friendship. (If the 'thumb' were just a wee bit shorter, it'd look just like Bob, though.)

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night (or more truthfully, sometimes I manage to actually sleep the whole night through; /generally/ I wake up in the middle of the night), and the light from the moon plays tricks with the branches outside my window. Sometimes I'm sure that there's someone crawling around out there, trying to find their way in. Sometimes I'm sure that some monster or ghost or alien or thing is there, just waiting to find me, and sometimes I find myself involuntarially hiding deeper under my covers.

Sometimes I wake up in the morning and find that the moonlight leaves footprints. Big ones, with six toes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home