Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Sleeplessness

Angela and I were going to meet, back in the other cabin. Camp was ending, that cabin wasn't used, we'd been together since camp started, it's expected, right? The counselors told us that they didn't use the cabin because the mattresses were older. Or at least that was what they told us during the day. Around the campfire, they'd tell us it wasn't used since it was so close to the woods, and there was a mad axe killer out there. Or that an evil ghost lived in it. I just thought that it wasn't used since they could fit the guys into five cabins, they didn't need six. Whyever it wasn't used, we'd decided to meet there, as soon as we could sneak out.

As soon as the campfire was done, everyone went back to their cabins, us guys to our side, the girls to theirs. We sat around for a while, telling ghost stories, trying to freak the younger campers out until the counselors finally made us go to bed and turned out the lights. I doubted she was there yet, so I gave people some time to drift off to sleep before I made my way out. I dunno how long I was there waiting, I guess it was probably around an hour, although it seemed like days. I finally got up and did my best to not wake anyone as I snuck out. Sure, I bumped into a couple beds and practically shined my flashlight into my counselor's eyes, but I guess everyone else had a hard day. I stepped out under the porch light, wincing when the door squeaked closed. But no one woke. So I trotted over to the other cabin. She wasn't waiting outside like we'd planned, so I sat down by the door, on a little log, and waited.

The sky was so clear. I could have sat there and counted stars until the sun came up, and still wouldn't have had time to count them all. But I was too excited. Angela was going to be there any time. So I waited. I thought maybe they had been up talking about guys, or whatever girls do at camp before they go to bed. I knew she couldn't be much longer. I mean, how long _can_ girls stay up at night talking? So I sat there for a while before I wondered if maybe she'd gone _inside_ the other cabin. I stood up and turned toward the window, so I could whisper in, 'cause maybe she hadn't heard me. I guess those ghost stories spooked me a bit more than I thought, 'cause when that door opened, I took off 'a runnin'. It didn't just creek open, either. It _flew_ open. I just ran, tearing through the trees, before I thought that maybe one of the counselors had found out our plans, and hid out in there. Or maybe Angela was just playing another one of her jokes. It didn't matter which. Either way, if anyone found out, I'd never live it down. I had to go back and see.

Of course, I'm no fool. I was already in the forest, so I could sneak back up without being seen. No one would notice me, as long as I didn't step on too many branches. As long as I didn't start thinking about mad axe murderers, I was fine. Of course, you know how it is when there's something you _know_ you shouldn't think about. So of course, two steps later, I was expecting an axe behind every shadow. It's really hard to be quite when you're that frightened. But I had to go on. If the axe murderer's didn't get me, my reputation would the next day.

By the time I actually made it to the edge of the forest in front of the cabin, I think I had somehow managed to step on every noisy branch in the area. It's a miracle no one actually woke up, but I couldn't hear anyone, and had seen no one go out the front door of our cabin, which is plainly visible from the forest, so no one was outside anyway. So I was at the edge of the forest, looking at the other cabin, trying to figure out what I should do next, when I saw this freaky light inside the cabin. It was an eerie green, you know? It just barely lit up at one end of the cabin. At first, I thought it might be a firefly, since it was so dim. But it didn't blink. And it started getting brighter. And larger. I guess it was only a couple minutes later, but it was bright enough that I could've read a book by it, and it seemed to be about 4 or 5 feet tall. I couldn't really tell, and was still afraid of all those axe murderers.

Well, I guess I thought that the counselors must have somehow found out, and were playing a joke on me, so I'd have to get them back. I still had no idea where Angela was, but by this time, I wasn't really thinking about it. Since the forest extends all the way around that cabin, I decided to go around to the door in the back, hoping whoever was inside there wasn't expecting that. So I walked as quietly as I could around the cabin. Somehow, I managed to miss the sticks, but I did find a hole, that I don't think anyone's known about for years. One second, I was tip-toeing along, the next, there I was. One leg stuck about a foot deep in mud. Have you ever been stuck out in the middle of the woods, at probably one or two in the morning, with a freaky cabin beside you and axe murderers all around? No, I suppose not. But I was. And wasn't very happy about it. But there wasn't much I could do about it, other than get out and keep going. So I reached out to grab a tree to help pull myself out, and I touched this. See? It's Angela's necklace. I know it is. I'd seen her wearing it at the dance. She said she didn't go anywhere without it. But she wasn't anywhere I could see. So I started whispering to her, hoping she was around. I was hoping for a good evening, but now I was just ready for this nightmare to end.

So there I was, one leg stuck in a mudhole, a necklace in one hand, whispering as loudly as I could, when the front door of the cabin flew open again. I was so preoccupied, I hadn't noticed the light inside the cabin again until now. It had moved, and was still moving. It was now outside, and coming toward me. And it really was a light. There was nothing _there_. I could see right through it. There's no way the guys could've pulled this one off. I didn't know what it was, so I screamed. Sure, I wasn't going to have my rep after that night, but I didn't care anymore. I wanted to be safe in my own bed. And I wanted to know where Angela was. And I really wanted to know what this giant eerie green floating light was, and why it was coming toward me.

There I am, this light floating ever closer toward me, and I notice how quiet the entire area is. A pretty dumb time to do so, but it just struck me. Generally, there're some crickets around at odd hours of the night, but not then. There was _nothing_ making any noises. Nothing but my own heart pounding, anyway. That was probably the most frightening thing about it. But somehow I managed to get my foot out without hurting myself and I took off running. It's pretty hard to run through the trees, especially with branches slapping you in the face every three steps, but I managed. It's quite a bit easier when there's something following you. Well, by the time I got the twenty or thirty feet through the woods to the waterfront, I had cuts all over my face, which stung pretty bad as I jumped in. But thankfully that thing must've been afraid of the water, since it didn't follow me past the waterline. Now I was cold, wet, tired, afraid, and ready for the night to be over. All I had to do was get back to my cabin, and claim it was all a bad dream or something.

Well, there was a big glowing green thing and several axe murders in the woods, so I had to swim over to the dock area to get out. It was either that or the girls cabins, and I didn't think that they'd appreciate a large, wet, cold, muddy, frightened, upset person around at that time of night, which must have been around three, although I didn't have a watch on, so I couldn't tell. So I swam as quickly as I could, seeing how I was still clothed, holding onto Angela's necklace for dear life. Thankfully I was to frightened to even _think_ about the sea monsters and other stories the counselors told us. So I finally made it to the dock, and actually got out before I noticed the necklace I was holding had begun glowing the same eerie green color. It was freaky, so I dropped it, right there on the beach, and started running again. The necklace was behind me, the green light to one side, so I had to go the only place left... the girls cabins.

There I was: tired, wet, freezing cold, muddy, and out of breath, when I began banging on the door to the girls cabin. I suppose that wasn't the best time to find out where Angela was, but I had to say something, and I didn't really think they'd believe that I was being chased by a glowing green light. So I asked. And of course she was there, she'd been there all night. Or so the counselor said, until they actually checked. Now everyone knew that Angela and I were friends, and that I wouldn't get her in trouble if I could help it, so that's when the female counselors started to worry a bit. I mean, when one of the prettiest, sweetest girls, who never does anything wrong is suddenly missing in the middle of the night, of course they're going to worry. But why'd they have to drag me back to my cabin? I mean, couldn't we have found her on our own, and it have been our little secret?

One of the female counselors stayed with her girls, and the other dragged me along over to the guy's side of camp. Of course, along the way she tried to make me tell her what had happened, but all I could tell her was that Angela and I were going to meet, but she never showed up. That didn't really explain why I was soaking wet, or why I was terrified, but she wouldn't have believed me anyway, and would have probably thought it was all some sort of sick joke. So I didn't tell her. I guess now that I should have, but we all do things that we look back on and think we should have done differently. But it was the best I could do at the time.

Anyway, we're just getting into view of the cabins, and I just couldn't force myself to look at the other cabin. Not the way it had been spooking me. So I'm walking along behind the counselor.. I don't even remember which one she was. There we were, when she suddenly just fell down on the ground in front of me. Having someone faint on you is not what you want to happen on a night like that. Really. But she did, and I couldn't do anything about it but get help. I didn't want to just leave her there but I couldn't carry her. And I didn't want to be walking around out there alone. So I started running. Quickly. But then I made a mistake. I knew that I shouldn't look at the other cabin. I just knew that something bad would happen. But I had to look. Curiosity killed the cat, you know? Well, the same thing nearly happened to me. But once I looked over and saw the other cabin in flames, I didn't know what to do. They weren't normal fire flames, though. They were green. I was kinda' drawn to them, and stopped dead in my tracks as soon as I looked. I tried to scream for help, but I couldn't. I was stuck. Until I started walking toward the cabin. Yeah, it's generally a bad idea to walk toward a green fire of unknown origin, but I couldn't help myself.

I guess that the cabin wasn't really in flames, really. But there were green flames coming out of the windows and door. It wasn't a constant thing, either. It'd start at one end of the cabin, and a flame would shoot out the far window. It'd stop, move down, and shoot out the next window. And so on, until it got to the end, where it'd repeat the process back. It almost looked like the flames were pacing the cabin, which may be what drew me to them. I dunno. I hadn't ever seen anything like it before, and I don't really want to see anything like it again. But I couldn't help myself, so I walked closer and closer.

By the time I was able to stop myself from walking any closer, I could feel the heat of the fire on my face. It felt pretty good, since I was still pretty wet from my late night swim, and I just stood there for a couple minutes, before the fire just stopped. I tried to run, I really did. I just couldn't. Anyway, the fire just stopped. Usually, you know how a fire will go down a bit? Well, this one was there one instant, and gone the next. I didn't have time to wonder about this before the windows and doors started banging. Just all at once, pretty much, they opened all the way and slammed closed. They kept on doing this, some more often than others, but pretty much all of them slamming at one time or another. This happened for a little while. I guess it woke the other people up, since a couple of them stepped out of their cabin. But by then, the slamming had stopped, though. I don't know if anyone else saw it or not. I'm sure I saw something glowing inside the cabin at that time, but the counselors ran up to me and seemed upset with me, so I'm not sure.

They dragged me back to my bunk, and one of them stayed awake the rest of the night, watching me. They told me I'd have to talk to someone in the morning, as soon as everyone was awake, and that I'd probably be sent home. I tried to tell them what had happened, but they just looked at me with a look of disbelief. I really didn't care that much, and just wanted to go as far away as I could. I think they thought that I was making all the noise, and getting into trouble. I quickly gave up trying, and went ahead and got in bed, where I found Angela's necklace. I don't know how it got there, and was pretty frightened of it by then, so I threw it across the cabin and hid under my pillow. Somehow, I guess I dozed off for a little bit, but it couldn't have been for very long. I woke up, and the necklace was on my neck. I've tried getting rid of it a couple more times, but it keeps popping up, so I'm afraid to try anymore.

Really, sir. That's all I know about last night. I don't know where Angela is. Now, I'd really like to go home, so if you'll call my mother, I'll wait for her right here.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I'm just a little confused... I mean, you got out fine, but I'm worried a little about poor Angela... I mean, did she get eaten by the evil ghost of the green flames? Or were she and her friends sitting in the cabin having a really fun time scaring you to death...

10:59 PM  
Blogger Silik said...

Well, maybe her father was an authority figure and was in on the joke or something. But I tend to think that she actually ended up..missing. At least it's not the other version of this story where noone else remembered that she ever existed..

8:29 AM  
Blogger Silik said...

How does one become a 'morally undefined ghost of the green flames'? I may have just found a new calling in life!

8:43 AM  
Blogger Silik said...

Ok, I know how to become a ghost. But how does one get the "of the green flame" title? "Of the round table" I might be able to manage. Or maybe "of the sea". But "of the green flame?"

2:44 PM  
Blogger Silik said...

Before or after you become a ghost?

4:30 PM  
Blogger Silik said...

Oooh, to become "The Evil Ghost of the Green Flame" or "The Morally Undefined Ghost of the Person of the Green Flame of Copper(II) Chloride"? I'm not sure which is better.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Queenie said...

I think this is the best 'Dear Mom and Dad...get me out of here letter' I have ever read.

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home