Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Learn Me Something New

It's been a while since last I wrote anything of interest. I've made excuses before, and I'll make excuses again, I'm sure. I'm very good at making excuses, even though most of them are fairly obviously not true. But I still continue to insist that Nessie did swim all the way from Scotland to eat my homework that morning!

This time though, I suppose I have no more excuses. Not even ones that aren't true. I just apparently ran out of things to say. And since that's the truth, I fear, it cannot actually be an excuse. Not that it would have made a good excuse if I had tried. "I'm sorry, Ms. Smith, I couldn't finish writing my essay because I ran out of things to say! I didn't even write my name? Well, I ran out of things to say really, really early on!" Somehow I don't think I would have managed to do very well in that class.

Unless, of course, it was a physics class or something. I don't think they prefer having long essays handed in for homework. But still, the not writing my name thing would have hurt. Thankfully many teachers I've known have been masters of the process of elimination, and as such were able to tell which work was mine, even when my name wasn't adorning the upper-right corner (complete with date, hour, subject, expected grade, size of bribe, and anything else the instructor cared to know for the day).

Sometimes this may have not worked out as well as I hoped. Sometimes I didn't add my name because I was ashamed of the quality of the work, and would have prefered a 0 to that negative-fifteen for causing the teacher horrible gut-wrenching pain in reading. But I survived, as did most of the people that tried to teach me over the years.

One of these days I'll get around to starting to actually learn.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least you are aware of some measure of quality. I'm wondering how to deal with a friend who has recently lost his job and has decided to spend a while writing his book. (This is a man who can't stay on any one project for more than a week without forgetting it and moving to something else)

4:02 PM  
Blogger Silik said...

Realize that sometimes quantity's better than quality and get him a metric ton of new pencils? Then call several times a day to ask how many pencils he's worked through.

It might not actually keep him on the one project, but it should at least help keep his mind off the thought of having recently lost a job?

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home